This low carb, healthy keto Parmesan eggplant recipe is a delicious and wholesome vegetarian keto dish. An absolute all round winner indeed. One of the great aspects about this keto eggplant Parmesan recipe is that you can make a big batch of it for weekly meal prep and even freeze it for a few days, it will easily last for 3-4 days in the chiller.
Now some keto dieters balk at the idea of eating eggplant but I find in most cases this is because they have not taken the time to really experiment with the ingredient properly. Or they do not actually understand what eggplant actually is. Eggplant is also a great substitute for meat proteins if you want to ditch the meats for a while.
What Actually Is Keto Eggplant Parmesan?
For those recipe hunters that don’t know understand that eggplant, aubergine or brinjal is a plant species from the nightshade family Solanaceae. Eggplants are grown all over the world and sourced as edible fruit. Most commonly purple, the spongy, absorbent fruit is used in several popular cuisines such as Indian cooking. Where the soft eggplant it is often flavored with spices and herbs like ginger for instance.
Although eggplant is regularly considered a vegetable, it is actually classed as a berry by proper botanical standards. So now you know all about the eggplant, no more excuses just great tasting keto eggplant recipes. Plus if you like healthy low carb cheesy spicy eggplant recipes you are in for a real treat.
Making The Keto Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
The humble eggplant is both very nutritious and totally ripe for flavoring with all kinds of ingredients and spices. Such as the tangy Parmesan cheese that this eggplant recipe is based upon. I really think you will be amazed at how tasty this keto eggplant Parmesan actually is. The keto eggplant Parmesan is easy to make with just a few easily obtainable ingredients that you can nab from any Walmart or similar store.
Overall I think keto eggplant Parmesan is an extremely wholesome dish. Give it a try, you won’t be disappointed. I find that eggplant is a great meat substitute when you are trying to keep your protein macros in check. If you dig eggplants and you really should; why not try this Mediterranean style spicy keto eggplant also? Let me know if you made the keto eggplant Parmesan recipe in the comments below the recipe.
Sara Louise's Keto Eggplant Parmesan
- 1 Large eggplant
- 3 Oz Full fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Cups Marinara sauce With no added sugar
- 6 Ounces Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 12 Oz Bag of riced cauliflower
- 1/4 Cup Cooking water (from the pan)
- 1 Tsp A pinch of sea salt
- Start by heating the oven to 375F
- Line Eggplant slices out evenly on some cooking paper and sprinkle with sea salt
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes.
- Now remove from the oven.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking tray with some butter to grease.
- Place half the eggplant slices on the tray.
- Top the eggplant slices with half of the marinara sauce and place to one side.
- Now cook the cauliflower for 5-6 minutes on low heat in water on the stove.
- Remove the cauliflower and retain the cooking water.
- Using your blender combine the frozen cauliflower, 1/4 cup of the cooking water, greek yogurt and sea salt It should make a smooth paste.
- Spread half of the cauliflower paste evenly over the top of the sauce and sprinkle half of the Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Repeat the process by placing the eggplant slices and marinara sauce and cauliflower paste.
- Wrap up by sprinkling any leftover Parmesan cheese over the eggplants.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes in the oven until temptingly golden.
- Serve up when ready and tuck in.