Keto cinnamon roll knots are such a popular choice here at KetoFirst with so many requests that I cannot keep up. The great thing about these low carb cinnamon pastries is that there are so many ways to be creative with your approach to baking them.
For instance you can glaze them with your favorite sweetener or add some dusty sprinkles after they come out of the oven. No version of this keto pastry recipe really ends up the same which is why I like it so much. Plus the whole recipe from prep to baking takes around 20-25 minutes.
Making The Keto Cinnamon Roll Knots
I do recommend a decent blender or food processor to prepare these cinnamon rolls. Since this keto dessert recipe does involve a fair bit of whisking otherwise. A powered handheld whisk such as this KitchenAid model is also a great alternative to a food processor.
In fact these low carb keto cinnamon roll knots are just one example of tasty and healthy cinnamon pastries that we put together for your absolute baking pleasure. Do let me know how these keto cinnamon roll knots shape up in your keto kitchen.
Keto Lower Carb and Cinnamon Roll Knots
- For the keto dough:
- 96 g almond flour
- 24 g coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 5 teaspoons water as needed
- For the keto cinnamon roll knots filling
- 14 g Coconut Oil melted if using butter
- 3-4 tablespoons Swerve or xylitol to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon to taste
- For the cream cheese glaze optional, but highly suggested!
- 30 g cream cheese softened
- 14 g grass-fed butter softened
- 1-2 tablespoons Swerve
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch kosher salt
- 1-3 teaspoons almond milk as needed optional
- To start preparing these cinnamon rolls preheat your oven to 350°F/180°C. Then line a large baking tray with a baking mat or some high quality parchment paper.
To Make The Keto Dough
- Add some almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt to your favorite food processor. Mix it all up until combined.
- The next step is to pour in some apple cider vinegar while the food processor is running. Once the cider vinegar has distributed evenly, you should pour in the egg, followed by pouring in the water. Once the dough forms into a ball you can turn off the food processor. You will find that the dough will be quite sticky to touch and this is normal.
- Now wrap the dough mix in some cling film and knead it well through the film for a minute or two. Allow dough to rest for 10 minutes (and up to 5 days in the fridge if not using it immediately that is).
To Prepare the Low Carb Keto Cinnamon Roll Knots
- To get the cinnamon knots underway start by rolling out the rested dough between two sheets of parchment paper with a rolling pin until roughly 10x10 inches in size. In order to get a perfect square, simply trim the uneven edges and keep rolling until evenly sized, easy really.
- You form your cinnamon knots by brushing with melted butter and sprinkling with the cinnamon 'sugar.' This also acts as adhesive. Now fold the dough in half and cut into 8-10 strips with a pastry cutter. Twist and roughly make the dough so if starts to form into knots.
Just pinch the dough together to seal closed, once you have done this a few times you will be a natural at it. Now you can freeze the cinnamon roll knots at this point for several months. In future just bake directly from the freezer (adding a few more minutes time in the oven to compensate).
- When ready to cook place the knots in prepared tray and bake for 8-12 minutes until they just begin to brown. Make certain that you only bake them briefly. This is in order that they stay moist and doughy. Do not overdo the baking unless you want to end up with biscuits that is!
- While your cinnamon knots are cooking you can work on the cream cheese although this is optional.
Cream together with an electric mixer the cream cheese and butter until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add in the powdered sweetener, vanilla extract and salt and beat together. If you want it more of a drizzling consistency, add a few teaspoons of almond milk to thin it out as you see fit.
- Serve the keto cinnamon roll knots warm straight from the oven, with a generous drizzle of the cream cheese glaze. Also do not worry they taste great cold and can be reheated as well.